YOU CAN FIND ADDITIONAL BUENA VISTA NEWS RELEASES POSTED HERE.
Governor Ralph Northam signed Executive Order Sixty-One and presented a detailed framework for the first phase of the “Forward Virginia” plan to safely and gradually ease public health restrictions while containing the spread of COVID-19. The Phase One guidelines will be implemented when the data meets the public health criteria outlined by the Commonwealth. The new executive order modifies public health guidance in Executive Order Fifty-Three and Executive Order Fifty-Five and establishes guidelines for Phase One.
Phase one will be implemented no sooner than May 15, 2020.
See initial guidelines for Phase one of Forward Virginia here: Virginia Forward Phase One Business Sector Guidelines
See more about the changes in Phase One below:
- Coronavirus 5/28/2020 - Regional Message Regarding Mask Requirement
- Coronavirus 04/07/2020 - Regional Message
- Coronavirus 03/17/2020 Joint Media Release- Emergency Declaration
- Coronavirus 03/20/2020 Virginia Department of Health Release
- Cornonavirus 03/20/2020 Joint Media Release - Confirmed case in Rockbridge
Lexington, VA – Rockbridge County, the City of Lexington and the City of Buena Vista have joined others localities in the region and state in declaring a Local Emergency in response to the threat to public health and safety associated with the Coronavirus (COVID-19). In addition to providing the ability to be more nimble in decision-making during this ever-changing event, the declaration will allow the localities easier access to funding and other resources from state and federal agencies as they become available.
Buena Vista, VA – In response to the COVID-19 public health threat, most Buena Vista City offices will be closed to the public until further notice, beginning at 4:30 pm on Friday, March 20th. Staff will remain in office, but will be conducting business by phone, email, and US mail. Payments or other correspondence may be made by the drive thru window and drop box located at the back of the building. Please put items in an envelope with the department listed on the outside of the envelope.
At this time, the Commissioner of the Revenue, the General District Court, the Circuit Court, and the Sherriff’s Office will remain open to the public. Residents are strongly urged to only visit these offices if it is completely necessary and not visit if they are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19. Staff will be available to answer phone calls and emails regarding operations of their respective department. If staff are unavailable when you call, please leave a message and they will call back as soon as possible. Department contact information is listed below:
By order of the Governor of Virginia, all K-12 Public Schools are closed until at least March 27th.
For Buena Vista Public Schools information see HERE.
SVU and DSLCC have made adjustments to their student schedules. Links are shown below for details and any updated information.
- SVU - suspended face-to-face classroom meetings March 12, 2020 and migrated all classes online to enable students to complete all credits for the current semester. In parallel, the University will begin taking steps to suspend normal campus operations by March 31.
- DSLCC - remains open to faculty, staff and students only Monday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. -5:30 p.m. through April 3, 2020. Any changes to this schedule will be shared by March 30, 2020.
Central Shenandoah Health District -CSHD's Call Center is live (8a-6p Monday-Friday). If you have questions about Corona Virus , call (1-855-949-8378) to or VDH COVID-19 hotline (877-ASK-VDH3). See more information HERE.
Courts- Monday, March 16, 2020 through Monday, April 6, 2020, non-essential, non-emergency court proceedings in all district and circuit courts are suspended absent a specific exemption. This includes a prohibition on new eviction cases for tenants who are unable to pay rent as a result of COVID-19. All non-exempted court deadlines are tolled and extended for a period of 21 days. See formal notice HERE.
Department of Motor Vehicles- Due to COVID-19, all Virginia DMV customer service centers are closed March 18, 2020 until April 2, 2020. Driver and vehicle credentials have been extended 60 days. For more information visit their website.
Rockbridge Area Department of Social Services - RADSS will be closed to the public beginning March 20th. They will conduct any required interviews for Benefits via telephone and will accept verification through USPS or electronically. Any verification brought to the agency will need to be placed in the drop box located outside the main entrance. We will provide access to paper forms outside the main entrance. If we have any expedited SNAP or replacement EBT cards that need to be issued we will be mailing the EBT cards. As for Family Services and Adult Services those programs will continue to function as required per policy until any other directive(s) comes from VDSS as to how those programs will continue to operate during this time. The following are phone numbers to apply for benefits or to report CPS/APS:
- To apply for SNAP, Medicaid and TANF: 1-855-635-4370
- To apply for Medicaid only: 1-855-242-8282
- To apply online: www.commonhelp.virginia.gov
- Healthcare Market Place: 1-800-318-2596 or www.healthcare.gov
- For EBT Replacement card: 1-866-281-2448
- To report APS (Adult Protective Services): 888-832-3858
- To report CPS (Child Protective Services): 800-552-7096
Rockbridge Area Health Center: Effective immediately, all non-emergency dental appointments have been canceled. RAHC will be contacting their patients to reschedule.
Rockbridge Area Recreation Organization: All RARO activities will be cancelled until further notice. RARO will closely monitor recommendations and policies regarding our local school systems and will make sure to get the word out if and when things change. RARO will continue registering for Rookie League Baseball for ages 7-8 and Tee-Ball ages 5-6 this entire week. Registration ends Friday at 5:00 p.m.
Rockbridge Area Relief Association: RARA has information on their website regarding their operations during COVID-19.
Rockbridge Feeds Hunger Coalition: Rockbridge Feeds has issued the following response to COVID-19.
Rockbridge Regional Library - A restricted use policy has been implemented for at least two weeks. For more information, visit https://www.rrlib.net.
Social Security Administration: The Social Security Administration has issued the following response to COVID-19.
The Lexington, Rocbkridge and Buena Vista Regional Tourism - Offices will be closed until March 31st. For more information visit, https://lexingtonvirginia.com/articles/travel-advisory.
- Virginia Department of Health
- Centers for Disease Control
- Virginia's Response to COVID-19
- News Releases from Virginia Governor Ralph Northam
- 50 Ways Rockbridge Resource List
- Virginia 211
- Virginia Navigator
- United Way
- Local Call Center for COVID-19 questions
- US Government Response to COVID-19
- Virginia Department of Emergency Management
- COVID-19 Resource Hub
- Secretary of Commerce and Trade COVID-19 Resource