Public Works Sanitation Worker
The City of Buena Vista is seeking an energetic individual to serve in the city's Public Works department; employees are the core of City government. The City offers a generous benefits package including excellent health insurance and Virginia Retirement System (VRS) participation. Multiple positions open until filled. To apply, submit the below application and a resume to Ken Talley at firstname.lastname@example.org. Multiple positions open until filled.
Level III - $19,000 – 23,732
Performs heavy manual work in the collection of residential and commercial refuse on an assigned route. General supervision and work assignments are received from a foreman, or the Director of Public Works, who also reviews work through observation and investigation of customer complaints. This position is an hourly paid position and thus is subject to Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) guidelines.
Example of Duties:
- Picks up and empties garbage and refuse in its proper collection containers
- Empties containers into a refuse truck
- Picks up other debris and places in the truck
- Operates mechanisms for loading, compressing, and dumping refuse and garbage
- Directs driver in the safe movement of the refuse truck in alleys, driveways, etc.
- Operates truck as required
- Assists in periodic washing and cleaning of refuse truck
- Assists with snow removal
- Performs related work as required
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from High School or equivalent (GED)
- Must be a licensed driver; Commercial Driver’s License or ability to obtain CDL preferred
- At least six months experience in heavy manual work
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform strenuous physical work for extended periods of time and to periodically pass a medical examination for heavy manual work
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and customers
Tools and Equipment Used:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk, stand, sit and talk or hear; to use hands to handle, feel, finger, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift up to 100 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and in outdoor weather conditions. The employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately noisy.
This job description does not list all the responsibilities, duties, skills, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees will be evaluated in part based upon the performance of the tasks listed in this job description. Management reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment.
To apply, submit an application and resume to Ken Talley at email@example.com. Multiple positions open until filled.
Buena Vista, Virginia is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination in recruitment, selection, hiring, pay, promotion, retention or other personnel action affecting employees or candidates for employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.