FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Kristina Ramsey, Economic Development & Marketing
City of Buena Vista, VA
2039 Sycamore Ave, Buena Vista, VA 24416 (540)-261-8616 | firstname.lastname@example.org
January 17, 2022
Jamie Goodin, Main Street Buena Vista
(434) 944-5446 | email@example.com
City of Buena Vista Announces Main Street Pilot Program
Buena Vista, VA – The City of Buena Vista, Virginia is excited to announce the pilot of a new Main Street Program for downtown Buena Vista, designed to test the viability of such a program in the city. Local resident Jamie Goodin will serve as the Director of this pilot and will work to build the organization. Main Street Buena Vista will actively facilitate and create economic vibrancy in downtown Buena Vista via promotions and marketing, placemaking projects, events, and more.
This pilot program is the latest of ongoing efforts to revitalize Buena Vista. Recent progress includes:
- The development of Buena Vista’s Downtown Revitalization Plan. The creation of a Main Street program was a top recommendation from this plan.
- Over $1 million in grants won for Downtown Revitalization, including Community Development Block Grant, Commercial District Affiliate Grant, Virginia Outdoors Foundation Preservation Trust Fund grant, Community Business Launch grant, and more.
- Dabney S. Lancaster Community College’s ongoing development of the Wilson Workforce & Entrepreneurial Center.
- The Advancement Foundation’s ongoing development of the Agricultural Innovation Center.
- The City of Buena Vista’s ongoing development of a new outdoor events park.
- And so much more!
Main Street Buena Vista will focus on the following initiatives:
- Placemaking: Beautification, walkability, public art & more.
- Events: Events to contribute to the experiential vibrancy of Buena Vista residents, visitors & businesses.
- Promotions: Marketing to inform, connect and engage local and regional residents, visitors & businesses.
- Organizational Sustainability: Engaging with local volunteers to execute the program and identify & test fundraisers to support the program.
About Jamie Goodin:
Jamie Goodin, Director of Main Street Buena Vista, will lead the efforts. Goodin’s track record of community development successes include previous leadership roles in ActionBV, BV Forward, Healthy BV, GoBV, Main Street Lexington, Lime Kiln Theater, the Lexington-Rockbridge Jaycees and dozens of community events and fundraisers.
How to Get Involved:
Main Street Buena Vista is currently planning and coordinating its 2022 events. An upcoming community meet and greet will share the organization’s plans with citizens. Citizens will be encouraged to contribute in a number of ways including: serving on the board or committees, volunteering for various initiatives, and sharing ideas to create a more vibrant BV. A website is under construction; follow on Facebook & Instagram for regular updates.
# # #
About Virginia Main Street:
This program will be modeled in part after the successful Virginia Main Street Program. Since 1985, the Virginia Main Street (VMS) program has been helping localities successfully revitalize the economic vitality of downtown commercial districts using the National Main Street Center’s successful Main Street Approach™. Main Street is a comprehensive, incremental approach to revitalization built around a community’s unique heritage and attributes. Using local resources and initiatives, Main Street helps communities develop their own strategies to stimulate long term economic growth and pride in the traditional community center — downtown. Virginia Main Street communities, like thousands of communities across the country, have used the Main Street Approach effectively to address the complex and changing issues facing the downtown business environment. The Main Street Approach™ provides a flexible framework that puts the traditional assets of downtown, such as unique architecture and locally-owned businesses, to work as a catalyst for economic growth and community pride. The program was designed to address the need for revitalization and ongoing management of smaller downtowns, but aspects of the Main Street Approach™ may be applied successfully in other commercial settings. Communities beginning their downtown revitalization, and those with more experience, have engendered long-term economic impact with the successful, time-tested Main Street Approach.