As a result of the Recreation Economy for Rural Communities program, Buena Vista was able to develop a comprehensive action plan to promote the outdoor recreation economy in Buena Vista. The program proved to be a success, with over 70 people attending the two-day community workshop and actively participating to complete the action plan.
The action plan consists of several achievable actions aimed at fulfilling the four broad goals identified in the program. These goals were:
- Enlivening downtown
- Improving infrastructure
- Marketing, branding, and promotions
- Expanding outdoor recreation activities and education offerings
To achieve these goals, workshop attendees developed several achievable actions, including:
- Completion of a master plan for Glen Maury Park and other City parks
- Develop a volunteer system and a volunteer to serve as primary coordinator
- Develop resources to support Buena Vista as an Appalachian Trail Community
- Revise and market incentive programs
- Tell the historical and cultural story of Buena Vista
- Expand offerings for gear rentals and attract outdoor outfitters
View the full plan and additional action items, here – Recreation Economy for Rural Communities Action Plan
Overall, the Recreation Economy for Rural Communities program proved to be a great success for Buena Vista, helping the City develop a comprehensive action plan to promote and expand the outdoor recreation as an economic driver. With the support of local stakeholders and residents to implement the plan, the City is well on its way to achieving its goals and becoming a hub of outdoor recreation and tourism in the region.